VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES FOR 2013 ARE FINISHED, PLEASE CHECK BACK IN SPRING 2014.
Come on out and help CCUA build a community with a strong local food system.
Volunteers can come out to help and learn about urban food production. We have regularly scheduled volunteer times at our Urban Farm and Kilgores Community Garden. Volunteers are members of the public who help out while getting their hands dirty and learning about urban food production.
All volunteers must attend a Volunteer Training before they start doing any volunteer work with CCUA for the season. Each volunteer event will have a 30 minute training prior to the work day. Attending ONE volunteer training prior to any of the events lasts for the whole year and is good training for ANY CCUA volunteer event.
|Urban Farm||2014 Volunteer Times TBD||Heather Gillich
|Kilgore’s Community Garden||2014 Volunteer Times TBD||Billy Polansky
Urban Farm Volunteer Workday: Help us grow at our 1.3 acre Urban Farm! Come get hands-on experience at a working commercial Urban Farm. This is our largest volunteer event and the best for large groups to attend. Please let us know if you plan to bring a group.
Kilgore’s Giving Garden Workday: Help raised food for donation to downtown schools and organizations! Kilgore’s Pharmacy generously converted its empty lot into a diversified garden for the benefit of the community. Get hands on growing skills and directly help your community!
Helpful Tips for Volunteers
To help you enjoy your time with us, here are a few tips to help you prepare for a day on the farm.
- It is important to stay hydrated while on a farm! There will be access to city water (via a water fountain), so bring a water bottle with you to refill.
- Make sure to protect skin with as much clothing as possible (such as hats, long sleeves, pants, and closed toed shoes). Wear sun block to prevent sunburn!
- The farm does have a restroom and several hand washing stations for cleanliness on the farm.
- Be sure to wear old clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- There will be snacks at the farm, so be sure to have a list of any allergies.
- There are gloves available at the farm, but supplies are limited. Please have gloves if you feel that they will be needed.
Share and Enjoy
This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.